Thursday, October 5, 2017

STALKING THE SUNSET




We walk the fine edge,
between this world and the next,
trying to heal our pain, 

recover from our illnesses,
adjusting to the decline of the body
that has transported us so far.

You have fought a long battle, 
old pal of mine.
I am sensing your grasp on life 
slowly slipping away.
Your eyes are on the eagle, 
flying free of his fetters.
You are communing with deer 
in your garden.
The orcas pass by, 
your mind engraving
the vision and the joy.
Your heart is loving and mourning 
this beautiful earth
you are slowly leaving.
We are never ready to let go
of the beauty we have loved so well.

For 37 years, you have always been there:
at the other end of the telephone,
through my joys and sorrows,
on the other side of my screen,
sharing all I was learning.
We have witnessed, 
encouraged and supported
each other's journey,
collaborated on songs,
shared our love of the wild,
and music,
and sunsets.

You have been my friend, my mentor,
my guide, my guru.
You have shown me the way,
walking your pilgrim's path of the soul,
listening to your inner guides.

You can never really be gone from me.

On the other side, for you,
there will be a radiance:
your face shining as it did 
in coffeehouse days,
when candles flickered on you, 
smiling in the glow,
singing Gentle Jonathan 
and Forever Young.

I will see you forever
strumming your guitar, 
singing your songs
of trees and rivers 
and eagles in flight.

On the other side: 
Manders, curled,
purring on your chest -
and no more tumors,
shortness of breath,
fatigue and diminishing health.
Just an expansion of the soul
which has grown too large
for your chest to contain,
and needs more room 
in which to grow.

In memory, you will always be
on stage at Brock and Friends,
or, later, stalking the sunset,
camera in hand, 
at Chestermans Beach.

It is in sunsets I will 
forever see you,
old friend of mine.

Always remember, 
on the other side of sunset
comes the dawn.
That is where I'll find you,
once you're gone.



                                                  


My friend from coffeehouse days, Matthew, departed this life night before last.  He passed peacefully, and was ready to go. He was always attuned to Spirit. He did walking meditations, where he said "I love you" to every rock, and dog, and tree he passed, and he told me that after a few minutes everything started loving him back. He was always Spirit-led and so I know he trustingly followed into the spirit world.

He was my friend, mentor, guru, supporter and guide. He knew me when, when I was just awakening, recovering from trauma. The coffeehouse in the 80's was filled with souls living gently on the earth. I walked in the door and I was home. They watered my parched roots, and gave me space, and acceptance, till my petals slowly unfurled. I have such gratitude for the gift the coffeehouse, and those gentle people, were for me. Matthew was one of the special people in my life. I sent him the above poem when his health began to fail. I wanted him to know what he meant to me, and he told me my poem moved him. 

I will miss him. And I will be forever grateful for having had such a friend.


18 comments:

  1. Such a moving tribute and all the more so because he got to read it. Moved me deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss, Sherry. What a beautiful tribute you have written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss of this dear friend, Sherry. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful and moving tribute to your friend.What a gift to have this wonderful person to comfort and support you for all those years. Your loss will be devastating...I share in your sadness and sorrow.Please accept my deepest condolences.Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friends. I am already moving into being so grateful for having had such a friend. He lived - and died - with supreme grace. I am playing his music over and over......so he is still here!

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss, Sherry. This is a beautiful tribute to your friend. *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. A heart-rending tribute. I'm sorry for your loss. Take heart❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is a most fitting verse. Even if you feel ready to leave, the rest of us are never ready...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a rare and wondrous person. This is a beautiful tribute of love. Beyond the sun...I like that he said I love you to everything he met on his walks. I try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a rare and wondrous person. This is a beautiful tribute of love. Beyond the sun...I like that he said I love you to everything he met on his walks. I try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a rare and wondrous person. This is a beautiful tribute of love. Beyond the sun...I like that he said I love you to everything he met on his walks. I try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a rare and wondrous person. This is a beautiful tribute of love. Beyond the sun...I like that he said I love you to everything he met on his walks. I try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is in sunsets I will
    forever see you,
    old friend of mine.

    Such memories linger on when relationships are based on lots of spiritual reckonings.The heart that counts, Sherry!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.