Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Earthlings

Mother Earth Speaks

My children,
my dear Earthlings,
I have given you so much:
everything you need and more -
enough for all beings, all creatures,
enough for trees and air and ocean
to survive and thrive.

I am hurting,
for you take too much,
you put nothing back,
and you are so many.

Fracking rips my innards apart,
the oilsands create dead zones
on my body,
the oil spilling into the rivers,
black death seeping in,
killing all in its path.
It grieves me to see 
threat to the living waters,
for water is life.
I weep for the forests coming down,
lungs of the planet, 
for you need air to breathe.
I  feel temperatures rising,
all creatures suffering,
and I worry for 
your children and grandchildren,
who are also mine.

I speak for my birds,
who have lost their song.
I speak for the wolves,
lions and elephants
who are dying out
as they try so hard to live.
I speak for the whales,
swimming in a warming toxic soup,
dodging your driftnets and propellers,
your garbage and plastic waste,
and i speak for the coral and plankton
which are already all but dead.

I speak for the salmon,
riddled with disease,
and for the polar bear,
swimming endless tired miles,
in search of diminishing
ice and food.

I speak for the forests
that are burning up,
 for the wildlife fleeing in terror.
I speak for the topsoil,
blowing away
on a hot desert wind,
and for pesticide gardens,
that poison the food
that feeds the people.

I speak for the animals
caged in too-small pens,
eating and growing,
and waiting to be eaten,
who know and live their unendurable fate.
I speak for the bawling calf
ripped from its mother and discarded,
so humans can have cream for their coffee.
I speak for dogs chained
for ten years outside in the heat and the cold,
their misery plain in their eyes.
I speak for the voiceless, the captive, 
 the tortured, the abused, 
who cannot speak for themselves
to express their misery,
at the mercy of merciless folks
who think animals have no feelings,
because they never dare to look into their eyes
and see the emotion, betrayed trust
and  despair
shining so plainly there.

My children,
your pain, your dis-ease, 
stems from disconnection 
from your Source,
which is life, nature, the universe, 
God, the All-That-Is,
and from your fellow earthlings.
Wake in the morning with a clean heart.
Step barefoot onto the ground.
Breathe in the precious gift of air from Sister Tree.
Give thanks for the water
as you make your morning tea.
Bless it.
Smile brotherhood to your neighbours.
Share. Give. Welcome. Spread joy.
Live in Hope and Trust,
in Gratitude and Wonder.

The lesson to be re-learned,
which the Old Ones always knew,
is:  You Are All One.
There is no Other,
only humans, animals, 
creatures that fly and swim,
trees, rivers, oceans, air,
each with its place
 in the grand scheme of things.

Help them. Help me.
And, in doing so,
help yourselves.
Remember:
everything that exists
just wants
to live.


for  Sumana's prompt at Midweek Motif, at Poets United: Nature: Her Words

I reworked part of an old poem for this prompt and gave it a new slant, putting the words into Mother Nature's mouth. 

19 comments:

  1. Wise words to the Earthlings Sherry - if only they would listen and open their eyes...
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spoken not in guilt but as a true mother. Children are growing up. Will we be on time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reading your poem one would think that an independent outsider not of the Earth would consider mankind as the worst beast ever to have evolved here. It is to our shame that we cannot see our faults as we count money, do what we will without any consideration whatsoever for for the rest of world and if all else fails think we can pop on a spacecraft to settle on another planet and eventually ruin that as well. The sad fact is that most of us are both deaf and blind...but worst of all inhumane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother Earth speaks just as a loving mother would to her naughty children. But she won't spare her rod if needs be like a good mother.
    You write so beautifully Sherry, with so much heart. There's always that streak of light in your words. I wish Her human children come to their senses. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quest for oil..the fracking, the spills, the wars... it's quite unbelievable when you step away and think about how ridiculous we are as a species.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No wonder some mothers despair at raising incorrigible children! This earth mother must feel so much pain at all the crippling and suffocating we induce. She's tried so many things to correct us. It'd be amazing if we have more chances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "My children,
      your pain, your dis-ease,
      stems from disconnection
      from your Source"

      Listen to your mother and her interpreters!

      Delete
  7. Our secular world is sick and is a reflection of our lack of spirituality our greed and disrespect for nature and the natural order and is getting worse by the day.There needs to be a revolution in thinking and values if our progeny are going to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautifully heartfelt, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an eloquent plea! Will we hear? And if we hear, what will we DO about it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So wonderfully written, Sherry. Your wise heart shines in every line.
    May we all wake with a clean heart and step barefoot onto the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan's poem reminded me of the many hands all over the earth working to help Mother Earth and that "She feels the love." I needed that reminder and that hope.

    ReplyDelete
  12. May we reconnect and begin doing more than just listening. A strong and wise voice rings from this Sherry. I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My children,
    your pain, your dis-ease,
    stems from disconnection
    from your Source,
    which is life, nature, the universe........
    This stanza should be made in to some sort of prayer and read every morning on radio tv schools etc
    Great awareness poem

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Sherry for the voice and these words,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love her voice!! Wow...
    The destruction of the earth is happening all around us. The earth is being abused more and more in each passing hour. There will be a time of no more....Sigh!
    How long do you think she is going to allow us to abuse her? I believe not much longer-Sherry! Beautifully penned...Ohh, I love this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a sad poem I think-- so hard to understand how greed can be so powerful. Thanksz

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just wonderful! A shocking litany of horrors, but then the insightful advice ... if only enough of us would take it. Sounds like Her voice all right! I love this so much, and think its message so important, I am going to share it on facebook.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.