Saturday, November 21, 2015

Mu Shu Duck

Mandarin Ducks
by Margaret Bedford

The cherry blossoms have long since fallen and faded,
as have I,
yet still I remember a meal of
Mandarin Mu Shu Duck
with the young Canadian soldier,
who made me blush with his every glance.

He makes me blush, still,
each time I eat Mu Shu,
remembering those moon-drenched evenings
under the pink blossoms,
their fragrance, so perfect, so fleeting,
as short as a duck's life
in a land of hungry people.

for Margaret's prompt at Real Toads : I took my inspiration from her wonderful photo of the Mandarin Ducks , photographed at the Prospect Park Zoo in Brooklyn. The story, needless to say, is fictional. Don't I wish it weren't, LOL.

17 comments:

  1. Oh, come on, Sherry, admit it's true. Aduck's life is quite short in the land of the hungry. Brilliant imagination if not true. Fantastic poem either way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I love duck, yet when I see their grace it seems hard to eat such creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific poem, yet in one way I'm glad it was fictional. Don't like to think of these beautiful creatures as food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fictional or otherwise it certainly is one nice to have happened. Love this kind of stories Sherry!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I couldnt eat one either. It's just a story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, this is perfect, start to finish. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How romantic. I really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved it, real or not....it seemed real to me, in my imagination! Beautifuly done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice, keep on blushing, keep good memories alive, i also choose the Time Travel prompt

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love ducks! Not so much eating them! :) Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i hoped that it was not fictional - wonderfully romantic - and hey - who knows...
    smiles

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful scene - I love the way the emotion lingers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. if that's fiction you have a future writing steamy novels, Sherry ~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.