Friday, December 28, 2012

Wild Woman Takes the Wheel

Maxine, created by Hallmark's John Wagner, 
who says she is based on his mom

Driving my son around town, I saw how the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, when it comes to our sense of the absurd. We laughed like loons the whole time.

He told me the funniest moment this visit was when Lori and I were rushing around getting Christmas dinner from stove to table, the dogs were needing tending, Steph needed to show me something on her tablet and Jeff chose that moment to ask: "Mom, do you ever get lonely living alone?"

"NO!" I replied, not to mince any words, and we all cracked up.

At an intersection, I was talking to myself, trying to gauge when to make a left turn: 
".......won't turn yet because cars are coming...." 
Jeff murmurs "helpful!"  
"Note To Self", say I, finger raised, then, while we are still laughing,  make a run for it, shrieking, "OH MY GOD, we'll all be killed!"

 "I love the way you enjoy your dementia," he says. "You think everything is funny, and everything you say is hilarious."

"Well, I may as well laugh."

"Yeah, because, honest to God -- seriously? -- there's Nobody Home!!!!" and we cackled like hyenas.

Now he is on the bus headed for the ferry. And I am home - alone - and very Not Lonely.

Hee hee.

3 comments:

  1. Sherry,
    I still have all of my children here .. they leave on Sunday. It's been chaotic fun with 8-9 people for dinner every night. They are out snow shoeing right now. I'm enjoying my lonely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, DO enjoy your evening of solitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry enJOY your time! I am like you I love my family, but my creative brain needs time out! Yes, I love lonely, sometimes ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.