Sunday, December 16, 2012

Salem's Journey


Great news this week, kids. My adopted grandson in Kenya, Salem Lorot, of Echoes of the Hills, has been appointed an advocate at the High Court of Kenya. I have interviewed Salem twice, at Poets United and, from the first, have been so impressed by  his journey. Click here to read how far he has come, from being a little nomad boy in  his Pokot village, to the steps of the very Legislature.

Here is Salem: 



"Koko!!! It happened!!! Finally on Monday, the 10th of December 2012, the Year of Our Lord, at around 10:37 a.m. I was made an advocate of the High Court of Kenya.

At the Supreme Court of Kenya, the journey to law that I took on for 6 years was being decorated and recognized. I was so happy for that.




And know what? I was adorned in a leopard skin!!!! It caused quite a stir during the event, with nearly everyone wanting to have a photo with me. The Chief Justice laughed and had fun seeing that.

And now most of my friends want a leopard skin during their admission next year, hehe.

We have had a great time around here and my mum, sister and my mother's friend are having fun in Nairobi."






Salem's mother

I feel as proud and happy as Salem's mom. This is a young man whose dream is to serve others. He wishes to build a library in his village, for the young people there who do not have the good fortune of a higher education. 

I know that, whatever his journey, it will bring good things to others. Salem's younger brother Fobian graduated from high school in this same week. Their mom must be so proud and happy.

And now we have to help Salem's brilliant sister, Lizzie, dream bigger dreams for herself. Now that she has seen Nairobi, I am sure she will set her sights on the stars.

Congratulations, Salem, Grandson. It brings joy to my old eyes, watching the trajectory of your journey. How you shine!

Love, Koko

9 comments:

  1. that is beautiful and amazing...i know you have to be o proud of him...what cool pictures as well...big smiles...

    thank you as well for the wonderful comment last night on yesterdays post...you made me smile big time...

    smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Salem, KoKo! His voice is gentle and strong, his family beautiful. Congratulations to you all and Salem especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delightful! My nephew's daddy is an African student in America



    Aloha from Honolulu, my Friend
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° >
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Salem! Thanks for sharing the great news Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Salem indeed! What wonderful news to share, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! Congrats Salem! I love the photos and how far you have come! Thank you Sherry for sharing this great news~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Sherry for introducing Salem to me. I have been following his journey and use it as inspiration to maintain my own level of self motivation. You both have added much to my spirit in 2012. Congratulations to all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to Salem ...you and his whole family must feel so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Koko, this brought tears to my eyes-- again. Tears of joy. You see, Koko, that day was very special for me. For four years since 2002 after High School, I yearned to do law. That break came in 2006 and six years later it happened!!

    Thank you so much for standing with me during the challenges for sharing my story. I grow stronger and stronger because of the wonderful community you have and the ones I have known in the blogosphere.

    Thank you friends. Thank you Koko, you rock!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.