Monday, December 24, 2012

Come Sit By the Fire

                       
[This great image is from google. Wow.]

Come sit by the fire, beloved ones.
I'll bring in the tea.
Tell me how things are for you, today,
and I will listen to you,
carefully.

We have walked a long journey together,
times we didn't even know we were traveling.
Now we circle back, we head towards home,
wherever it happens to be this particular year.
Time, now,  becomes so dear.

A quick look back at all of the hard times, and the good,
all the losses, from which, so painfully, we grew.
A longer look ahead, now time is short;
choosing how to spend what's left 
is more important
than we ever knew.

Come sit by my cosy fire.
We will laugh a lot,
and we will share good cheer.
We shall cherish the moments, 
all too few,
we have together.
I will be missing you
even while you're
still here.


10 comments:

  1. Wow, Sherry. So much deep thought in this poem. I do think sometimes even while we ARE enjoying the times together we already begin to miss them...knowing they will indeed end. We just have to enjoy the moments without looking ahead OR back. And laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am missing my family already. I haven't been able to go out to the coast because of my cold, not just for my own sake, but also because one nephew has a new baby, and my niece's husband has just had a bone marrow transplant. Germs not welcome!
    I'd love to see the new baby, my brother's first grandchild. Soon, I hope.
    I'd love to hug my niece and her children. The little one sure misses her dad, but hopefully he'll be home soon, maybe as soon as Boxing Day.
    But I'll be here, with our non-Christmas, and today we're going shopping for a big new fridge.
    Have a wonderful time with your family.
    Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delightful. I enjoyed sitting by the virtual fire for awhile and enjoying the poem. Perfect. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to come by and share that cozy fire with you, Sherry. Wish I lived nearby so that we could get together and have some good chats. I could almost feel the heat off of that moving photo too! Holiday greetings and my best, happiest wishes for you and your loved ones. Hugs...Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  5. We shall cherish the moments,
    all too few,
    we have together.
    I will be missing you
    even while you're
    still here.

    How sweet Sherry! Missing someone dear when he's right there next to you. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you Ma'am!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sherry,

    Merry Christmas my dear friend. Christmas has always been special for me...it is strange. I love Silent Night, and Christmas trees - it seems magical even today.

    Ikesha bought her first Christmas tree today. A small one, about 15 inches high. And carried it everywhere.
    Finally up the stairs, to bed.

    Good night and sweet dreams. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too would like to sit by the fire and chat with you Sherry ~ Time is precious and comes so quickly ~

    Wishing you Merry Christmas ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Sherry! This was so warm and comforting ;D Thank you, I'll have tea~ A good reminder to live by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely get-together! And amazing picture indeed!!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.