Friday, August 19, 2011

Silence


[This is a picture prompt entitled "Silence" from the Real Toads site. It brought to mind a poem about Silence I wrote back in 1963, when I was sixteen. It was a turbulent time in my life, emotionally speaking, and my poems then bespeak a deep unhappiness and lack of ease within myself,  typical of adolescent angst, but exaggerated by a sensitive poetic nature, and a painful childhood.]

Silence
Punctured by the aged creak of time
Pervades the vague lost hope of day's tomorrow;
Underlined by melodies of sadness,
Haunting, whispering through the years -
A voice -
Hidden in the sound of many voices.
Fearing silence, fearing thought, afraid
To let the sound of silence free the memories again,
I leave it
Dormant in the darkness of some sky,
waiting for the world to sleep,
to ask it in, to let it seep
across the blackened world - to Be.

(Silence -
The remnant of a quietude long centuries ago,
Conceived in some lost thoughtful time and passed along
To hurried, worried, frenzied man
escaping in the midst of confused time
To his haven of forgetfulness,
A dream.)

7 comments:

  1. Oh, that is painful, Sherry. Teen years are definitely years I would not want to live over. I bet you wouldn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To grow in such adversity (as did I) and to make the conscious choice to follow the way of love and not of bitterness and hate speaks so much of how great a love the spirit within you is. That you may be bent, weakend but, you were never broken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm amazed at the poetic 16-year-old you.. Such a poetic voice: it rings clear and deep.

    To let the sound of silence free the memories again,
    I leave it
    Dormant in the darkness of some sky,
    waiting for the world to sleep,
    to ask it in, to let it seep
    across the blackened world... These lines say a lot about silence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, my friend, just beautiful ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found the essence of silence back then. Quite an achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hauntingly beautiful, the sounds of silence

    Thank you for this poem, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very mature 16-year-old, already an accomplished poet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.