Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Song of the Eagle


Day 26 of the Soul Card Journey
with Elizabeth Crawford of Soul's Music
Soul Cards by Deborah Koff-Chapin
at http://www.touchdrawing.com/


Song of the western sea,
sursurration of the waves
breaking, breaking,
smell of salt,
seaspray in her face,
Traveler
follows
the pierced cry
of the eagle,
its shadow
falling across
the long empty
beach
which stretches
before her
to Forever.

He rides
the air currents,
wind-surfing the skies,
eyes alert
and penetrating,
seeing vastness
as wide
as the ocean,
and minutiae
small as
the smallest mouse,
skittering
across the sand
and under a log.

Betimes,
he swoops down
to the water,
rising
with a salmon
in his talons.

He is a symbol
of freedom,
of flight,
of Rising Above,
transcending,
reaching for
heights.

He is lord
of all he
surveys,
intimidated
by nothing.
Where he lands,
broad-chested
and fierce of eye,
smaller birds
and creatures
back away.

He appears
where  there
is pain,
to remind
us that
suffering
is finite.

He appears
where there
is Death,
to remind us
the soul
travels on,
when it slips free
of its body.

He appears
to give the
Traveler
hope,
and inspiration
for the journey.

To rest,
he alights
on a scrag's
topmost branch,
and surveys
the morning.

His eyes meet
Traveler's,
below.
Slowly,
he raises
a wing,
and drops
one lone
feather
down
to her,
a gift
to let her know
that she is
worthy.

6 comments:

  1. I love his appearing again and again as a symbol throughout our life...what gifts nature bestows unpon us through each breath taken...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem, Sherry. So interesting that both you and Elizabeth have such an affinity to the eagle. I love the ending to this poem. Yes, you are worthy@

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, Sherry, this reminds me of some of my own encounters with eagles. And how a hawk gave me one of her feathers, marking the spot where it lay on the grass, making sure I wouldn't miss it, then circling above me until I reached to pick it up, before disappearing into clouds. Such magnificent creatures,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry, this is one of your best. I actually heard the eagle cry in my mind when I first encountered him in this poem. The reminders are all so true, so poignantly stated, and the feather, a treasure. When I see a bird of prey skate on the breeze, I am reminded of the vast beauty and perfection of creation, when humankind doesn't mess with it... Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/aging-disgracefully-and-proud-of-it/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautifully done! I love this eagle and her gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fine image well drawn. We can feel the wind off the sea pressing against the skin.

    Thanks for calling on 1513fusion today.

    regards

    Harry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.