Thursday, September 30, 2010

On Equality


Image from jon-atkinson.com

[posted for Think Tank Thursday at Poets United]

I fully and
completely
know
in my
soul of souls
and in my
heart of hearts,
that one human being
is of equal worth
to every other.
That one baby born
is a miracle,
is a matter for
rejoicing
to every mother,
as is every
single
brand new
shiny
other.

When I meet you,
I will
look into your eyes,
will smile,
will see you as
a fellow
human being.
I will look into
your heart,
see your goodness
shining there.
I will not see
any "differences"
of skin,
for I know
we are
all kin.

I will be
compassionate,
not scornful
of your poverty,
or your addiction,
or your brokenness.
I will rejoice in
your striving,
your courage,
your smile,
your talent
for
surviving.

But am I "there"
enough
to forgive
the redneck
and the racist
for their 
limitations
in the way
they talk?
Not yet.
I fear
there is
much more
of the roadway
I still have to walk.

I can indict
the world :
until this
little child
has food
in his stomach,
and  can
go to school,
and have a life,
equality
is simply
a lofty concept
unrelated to
his strife.

But what am I
doing about it?
I contribute
scant dollars,
but could do
so much
more:
too broke,
too busy,
"tomorrow".
I care,
I grow outraged,
but the passion
does not
make up for
the world's
apparent
indifference to
his sorrow.

The little fellow
is still
waiting for
some food
to fill
his cup.
He's getting
tired,
he's starting
to
give up.

The problem is
too big;
it is
too simple.
Too many people
do not have
enough,
and there is
huge
inequality
'tween lives of ease
and lives so tough.

But equality
of worth?
Oh yes,
at each
new birth.

20 comments:

  1. equality does wonders,
    love your last line,
    equality of worth at each new birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry Blue Sky,
    I love your words and the photograph to highlight your thoughts.
    My words are in a similiar vein.
    When will someone take real notice!
    Best wishes, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. equality of worth....you said the best words right there...we are all equal in creation....blessings...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and your ending was so neatly tied into the flow of all the key points! Brilliant~
    It saddens me, how those that give, give all they can and those that can, don't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always smile at children of all races. I just want them to feel GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've said it simply and perfectly, Sherry...equality of worth at each new birth. If we press forward with passion, we may yet tear the shroud of indifference that so many people pull around themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry you have a beautiful heart,and it pours out onto your blog like a magnificent painting of peace. Equality of worth...oh yes at each new birth...this is so true! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I definitely like 'equality of worth.' We may not all be equal in every way, but our worth IS the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ideals to live by. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...and don't even get me started on animals. My heart goes out to them even more. Perhaps that's wrong, but that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sherry, i am delighted by your lovely posts every time i visit your blog. but this one topped it all. you expressed equality in the best way possible. you are simply the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...,But equality
    of worth?
    Oh yes,
    at each
    new birth....


    ...yes indeed...beautiful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, indeed. We are all borne anew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This poem bought a tear to my eye, As per, such great work xk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sherry, Sorry to take a while to get back to you; I've been this week. I'm not sure how to e-mail you directly from your site. Taking a look around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, all.........I so enjoyed reading everyone's various takes on the prompt....we had a little Summit of our own and the consensus seems to be we all have a strong sense of justice...and very kind hearts. Why are individual humans so awesome and collective humanity so off-centered???? It's a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sherry, you totally have my heart on this one! Fantastic!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sherry I really like the ending and I'm impressed with the love and understanding that emanates through your words, take care.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.