Monday, September 6, 2010

A Flower.......

image: share.triangle.com

[This poem is from way back in 1981. I had not been writing for a while. Then I found the coffeehouse,
that set my soul to stirring once again.]

Does one ask a flower to grow?
I just let it be,
letting it unfold
as it unfolds,
petal by petal,
carefully.

I take care
not to thwart
the solitary splendor
of its blooming,
remembering
a flower glows
just as brightly
in an empty lot
as when
my eyes
turn upon it
to share
the sudden sweetness
of its garden plot.

As petals
catch the wind
and dance
under the sun
so do you glow.
Your beauty
casts
a clear and steady light
that does not dim
and it shines more
the more
I come to know.

We touch
elusively
as fragile stems
holding up
heavy blooms,
nodding
in the breeze.
The blooms are
our two lives.
From underneath
their precarious
weight
our hands
emerge
like leaves.

Your solitude
speaks
to the peaceful
solitude
in me
and deep within
my quiet heart
I can feel
something gentle
yearn
to be
set free.



6 comments:

  1. Love the last verse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching, Sherry, the poem itself a metaphor for the unfurling creativity your soul held buried for so long, and were finally able to set free again. Lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your words kx

    Flower petals, enjoying the breeze,
    sunlight shining, to which it does seize
    Absorbing each ray, as if it was Its own
    Helping the flower to become fully grown
    K.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have included your link in a rhyme of mine
    take a look, if you get the time
    kX
    http://kashaw.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/thank-you-to-one-and-all/

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is nice to find an older piece of writing that seems to ring so true to this day, isn't it? You have definitely captured the heart of a flower in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, kind readers. I do rather like this one. And so nice to see a poem in response in the comments:) Thanks, Kashaw, for the mention in your poem on your site, as well. That made me smile:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.