Sunday, July 18, 2010

MEMO TO THE UNIVERSE........


In order to commit to the process, I am putting it out there to the universe: THIS HOUSE, AND EVERYTHING IN IT, IS GOING ON A DIET :)

I am detecting a pattern here. My cupboards, closets, under the bed, my golden retriever, myself, all are stuffed to bursting. I need to lose twenty pounds (yesterday), Jasmine looks more like an ottoman than a dog, and my house, small as it is, with no storage, HAS TOO MUCH STUFF IN IT.

So this morning I turfed out my closet. I only have one and now it is under control. But all of the stuff I removed from it has to go somewhere. So the process begins, as I move Stuff ahead of me all through the house.

I need:
*totes and somewhere to put them (my sister's basement)
*a small shelf unit to go beside my desk to put all my website material on
(instead of the floor)
*to make a trip to the sally ann or the free store with my excess
*time and energy to keep going

Living in a small trailer, this is a process I go through often. It only takes a few too busy days of flinging stuff randomly into cupboards in a rush for them to look horrifying. I feel somewhat like a large dog, turning himself around and around in a slightly too small bed, as I try to fit myself into this space.

And yet. I long for sparseness and clean lines. But every object I pick up might have some future use. Or has an emotional attachment because someone dear gave it to me.

I feel badly at all of this baggage, when so many of the world's nomads have what they can carry in their two hands or on their backs. Life is not fair. How much does one person actually NEED? (At the end, it boils down to a comb and a toothbrush, on the small table beside you in the hospital.)

My friend Matthew, who talks a lot about The Myth of More that North America is afflicted with, has a quote: You'll never have enough, until you are enough.

I am Enough, and I have too much. I will have a hard time unloading some of it. (I might need it one day!) But. I am determined.

And, in this one tiny household on Planet Earth, Purging Is Occuring.

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Sherry! I know exactly where you're coming from. I, too, am overwhelmed with stuff! Trouble is, I like my stuff..some of it, anyway.:)

    But I agree that enough is enough. Purging is good..it means there'll be room to put new stuff when we buy it, right? LOL..this is called 'not clear on the concept', I believe!

    Keep us posted on how you make out...

    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea! Stuff really weighs me down, even subconsiously. When Ty moves I'm going to get rid of the storage stuff that's under the stairs. Lets face it - it's been there TWO years without using any of it? We need far less than we have, all of us am sure...I am currently trying to really think before I bring home More stuff. or, bring something in - take something out.

    "Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truly get into the heart of the wilderness. All other travel is mere dust and hotels and baggage and chatter."

    John Muir (1838 - 1914)

    love, lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know - Too Much Stuff - however I always think I may need some of it sometime....like I have clothes in the closet I havent worn for years BUT on the OFF chance I might ever go out somewhere nice (where????) of an evening, I MIGHT wear them. Oh well you guys can do a big donation to the sally ann when I pass on hee hee.......(do keep some of my books tho!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting. I appreciate it and will return your visit soon.